June 24, 2014

Kaiser Permanente's first hospital changes and grows

The Permanente Foundation Hospital, Oakland, California; ring-bound copies of architectural drawings, 1944-06; TPMG P1530

Vintage photos chronicle evolution of Oakland Medical Center campus

Original Fabiola Hospital, circa 1895
Original Fabiola Hospital, circa 1895; from story on Oakland Hospital history, KP Reporter, 1967-08
Fabiola charity hospital, early 1942.
Fabiola charity hospital, before Permanente Foundation purchase and initial remodel, early 1942. Bed count - 70. The formal opening ceremony was August 21, 1942.
The Permanente Foundation Hospital in Oakland after 1942 rebuild
The Permanente Foundation Hospital in Oakland after 1942 rebuild
Architectural plans for Oakland Permanente Hospital expansion, April 1943
Architectural plans for Oakland Permanente Hospital expansion, April 1943
The Permanente Foundation Hospital, Oakland; architectural drawings showing first and second expansions, May 1944
The Permanente Foundation Hospital, Oakland; architectural drawings showing first and second expansions, May 1944
Oakland Medical Center - Howe Street pediatric wing addition, 1960
Oakland Medical Center - Howe Street pediatric wing addition, 1960
Tower construction on top of existing Oakland hospital, 1969
Tower construction on top of existing Oakland hospital, 1969
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center tower under construction, circa 1970.
Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center tower under construction, circa 1970. The shopping mall in the foreground is the site of the new hospital.
Helicopter lifting HVAC machinery to rooftop of new Oakland hospital, 1971
Helicopter lifting HVAC machinery to rooftop of new Oakland hospital, 1971
Fabiola Medical Office Building, named for old Fabiola charity hospital, 1993
Fabiola Medical Office Building, named for old Fabiola charity hospital, 1993