This is a great side salad or dessert for your Fourth of July celebration - or any summer time gathering. It is lightly sweet and the mint adds a refreshing touch. Please feel free to improvise as well. You can make your own fruit combo--mango, papaya, peeled kiwi and other melons all work well. If you don't have berries, you can use more cubed fruit instead.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 3-4 cups of mixed cubed cantaloupe, pineapple, seedless watermelon and honeydew melon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 3 sprigs fresh mint- leaves torn into several pieces
- 1 large lime
- 3 tablespoons sugar-in-the-raw (optional)
- Combine the fruit in a large bowl.
- Zest the whole lime (by using a fine grater to shave off just the green part, not the white layer underneath the green), then squeeze the lime juice into a small bowl, mix the lime zest, lime juice, mint and the sugar.
- Press the mint leaves against the side of the dish with a spoon to crush them, which extracts the flavor.
- Sprinkle the lime-mint mixture over the fruit and gently toss. Let it sit for an hour in the fridge.
- Remove 30 minutes before serving so it's not super cold when served,
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Does not include optional added sugar:
- Calories: 60
- Total fat: 0 g
- Saturated fat: 0 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 16 g
- Dietary fiber: 1 g
- Sugars: 12 g
- Protein: 1 g