This recipe is inspired by the Israeli sabich sandwich. Eggplant takes center stage accompanied by fresh summer ingredients, including tomato and cucumber. This hearty and savory sandwich is perfect for a summer lunch.
- 4 whole-wheat pita pockets
- Tahini (see below) or hummus
- Tomato cucumber salad (see below)
- Seared eggplant (see below)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
Tahini spread* (or you can use hummus)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- *Makes about 1/2 cup. I suggest using 2 tablespoons per sandwich.
Tomato cucumber salad
- 1/2 shallot, minced (a heaping tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4 pound), sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- Salt to taste
- Make tahini: Combine garlic, salt, and lime juice in a bowl. Then add the tahini paste, olive oil, and water. Whip with a spoon until smooth.
- Make salad: Combine shallot, vinegar, and salt; and then mix in the tomato, cucumber, and parsley.
- Make seared eggplant: Heat olive oil at medium heat in a sauté pan. Cook eggplant slices for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on each side. Salt to taste.
- Make the sandwich: Warm the pita in the oven. Cut off the top inch of the pita. Smear a generous amount of tahini or hummus on the bottom layer, then pile on the salad and layer with slices of hard-boiled egg and eggplant. This sandwich is often served with pickled veggies, and a spicy pickled mango sauce called amba.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 350
- Total fat: 24 g
- Saturated fat: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 210 mg
- Sodium: 440 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 26 g
- Dietary fiber: 7 g
- Sugars: 8 g
- Protein: 13 g
Note: Nutrition information does not include salt to taste.