This dish was just great for a meatless Monday. It is definitely robust enough to serve as a main course. I don't know if the potatoes have to be exactly those described, but if you can find some small, skinny ones, that is probably best. The delicata squash is delicate (duh) and doesn't need to be peeled. I think using this squash matters for the texture of this recipe. The amounts of ingredients listed can be varied.
- 1 1/2 pound Russian fingerling potatoes, cut lengthwise into 1/8" slices
- 2 delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out, then cut into 1/8" half moons
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan (optional)
- Seeds from one pomegranate
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the sliced potatoes and squash with 1 tablespoon of oil in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread out on baking sheets covered with parchment paper or Silpats (reusable floppy baking sheet non-stick things that work really well for anything).
- Roast them until starting to brown, about 20 to 25 minutes, shifting pans from top to bottom shelf halfway through. When done, remove and let cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Add the vinegar, lemon juice, honey (or maple syrup), shallots, and Dijon mustard to a jar and shake. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and shake some more. Taste, add 1/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper, and taste again. Adjust with more of whatever you think it needs.
- Cut the pomegranate in half around the equator. Fill a large bowl half full of water. Submerge half of the pomegranate. Niggle the seeds out. They will sink and most of the white pith will float. This is really cool. Scoop out the pith with a sieve, drain, and reserve the seeds.
- Add the roasted potatoes, squash, and arugula to a large bowl. Dress with the vinaigrette and toss gently. Mix in the shaved parmesan (if using) and pomegranate seeds, serve, and enjoy.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Does not include added salt:
- Calories: 320
- Total fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
- Sodium: 280 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 58 g
- Dietary fiber: 6 g
- Sugars: 18 g
- Protein: 13 g