These are just great. Try them over Mexican Rice. Of course, making your own black beans is cheaper but using beans like Eden Organic No Salt Added beans is quick and easy. These beans only have 15 mg of sodium per serving (1/2 cup). A whole can of 3.5 servings has about 50 mg. Black beans also provide a lot of fiber and you know we all need more fiber. Cost? Reasonable, particularly in bulk but still cheaper to make your own.
Remembering Mark Bittman's article in the NY Times --- about $28 to feed a family of four at a major fast food chain and $9 to feed a family of four with rice, beans, and vegetables.
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 chilpotle in adobo, minced or heaping 1/4 teaspoon chilpotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (heaping) dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups black beans with cooking liquid or 1 can no salt added black beans with liquid
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add the chilpotle, oregano, and saute a bit longer. Add the beans and liquid. Bring to a vigorous simmer then mash the beans with an implement. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over Mexican rice, on tacos, burritos, wherever.
Nutrition Information (per serving)