Stuffed and roasted poblano chilis

Contributed by Preston Maring, MD

Stuffed and roasted poblano chilis

I had the privilege to meet with physicians and health plan leaders in the Washington D.C. area to explore the possibility of creating 2 Kaiser Permanente farmers' markets there. 

The actual model of the markets may be different than some of our markets in California and elsewhere. There is a very strong commitment to make their markets a focal point for change in the health of the surrounding communities as well as serving as a resource for staff and members. 

Preliminary results from our first Kaiser Permanente farmer's market survey are in. Eleven hundred shoppers from 12 markets in 3 states were polled. About 60% of shoppers said they were eating more fruits and vegetables and more different kinds of fruits and vegetables specifically because of the Kaiser Permanente markets. The other 40% are already eating a lot or they really don't like fruits and veggies. 

I had some extra jalapeños leftover and found this terrific recipe for stuffed poblano chilis. Two ounces of cheese divided between 4 to 5 chilis keeps the saturated fat to a minimum. 

This is a flavorful side dish.


  • 4 medium poblano chiles, halved lengthwise and seeded
  • 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels — stand the ear up in a deep bowl when you cut the kernels off so they don't jump all over your floor
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/4 cup diced red pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
  • 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 tablespoon dried breadcrumbs (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste


  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet. 
  2. Mix all ingredients except the poblanos then stuff them. 
  3. Arrange them on the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes until the peppers are tender and the stuffing is hot.