As a leading nonprofit health plan in the Mid-Atlantic States, Kaiser Permanente is committed to using all of our assets and influence to help make the communities we serve among the healthiest in the nation. We are your trusted partner in total health, purposely partnering with the community to advance our shared mission for everyone. Kaiser Permanente’s commitment includes increasing access to care, improving economic and educational opportunities, and enhancing environments.
Our investment starts with increasing access to coverage and care.
Kaiser Permanente Community Benefit invests deeply through programs, grants, and contributions to increase access to health care coverage and services for the uninsured, underinsured, and underserved across the region. Our investment to increase access totaled nearly $300 million from 2012 to 2016.
- Our Charitable Care and Coverage programs provide health care and coverage to approximately 10,000 low-income vulnerable adults and children each year.
- Our Medical Financial Assistance program aids qualifying low-income patients when they are unable to pay for care, and has assisted more than 100,000 members between 2012 and 2016. The program also covers the cost of over 14,000 prescriptions each year.
- Kaiser Permanente provides care to the most needy through Safety Net Partnerships via an alliance with Federally Qualified Health Centers. In addition to funding 26 full-time clinical staff. Kaiser Permanente also shares best practices, such as our HIV/AIDS and ALL/PHASE protocols.
Our investment goes beyond clinical access to meet you where you live, work, and play.
Moving beyond the doctor’s office, Kaiser Permanente also focuses on the importance of healthy environments, working to improve health through economic and educational opportunity and attainment, access to healthy food, and better opportunities for safe physical activity.
- Kaiser Permanente has invested nearly $9 million in grants to address social determinants of health. These include socioeconomic status, education, physical environment, employment, and social support networks.
- We also support the community through corporate donations and sponsorships, including the donation of gently used equipment like laptops and vehicles. Our employees also volunteer at more than 500 community events, serving more than 5,000 hours annually.