It’s rare when a family member whose opinion I totally trust calls one of my dinners “delicious” and “wonderful” 5 or 6 times in a half hour. That’s what happened with this hybrid tortilla soup. Hybrids are in so I looked at a bunch of recipes online and came up with this. It’s another great way to use the leftover chicken from one you roasted a day or two before.
Make it all and freeze some for 1-2 more dinners pre-made for busy days.
- Tortillas, baked or baked pita chips (Cut whole wheat pita breads into wedges, spray with olive oil spray, sprinkle with a little salt and bake at 350 degrees on baking sheet until crisp)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- ½ inch jalapeño, seeded and minced (You can always add more later)
- 1 Tablespoon diced mild green chilies (Things that come in a can like this are usually too much for one recipe -- I freeze the leftovers in snack bags or plastic wrap in recipe size portions—maybe a tablespoon or two—I had some frozen chilies to use for this particular recipe)
- 2 heaping teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 heaping teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 small can no added salt diced tomatoes plus juice or two tomatoes diced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 thighs, 2 legs, 1 breast leftover roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- About ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro per bowl of soup --- maybe a handful before chopping
- 4 limes, juiced (Roll them under your palm back and forth on a cutting board before you juice them. You get more juice)
- 2 avocadoes, sliced (When I figure out how to load videos into this blog I will show you some really cool tricks)
In a large soup pot, heat the oil. Sauté the onion, garlic, jalapeño and mild green chilies until soft. Stir in the oregano and cumin. Add the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the corn and simmer another 3 minutes. Season to taste.
Add to each serving bowl that has three tortilla or pita chips on the bottom the juice of half a lime. Ladle in soup. Use a generous topping of chopped cilantro --- at least ¼ cup each bowl. Top with about a ¼ of a sliced or diced avocado. More chips around the edges?
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 15gm
- Saturated fat: 3 gm
- Trans fat: 0 gm
- Cholesterol: 44 mg
- Carbohydrate: 35 gm
- Fiber: 6 gm
- Sodium: 299 mg
- Protein: 24 gm