Stuffed and roasted poblano chilis

Contributed by Preston Maring, MD

Stuffed and roasted poblano chilis
I had the privilege to meet with physician and health plan leaders in the Washington D.C. area of the Mid-Atlantic States Kaiser Permanente region to explore the possibility of creating two KP farmers' markets there. The actual model of the markets may be different than some of our markets in California and elsewhere. There is a very strong commitment to make their markets a focal point for change in the health of the surrounding communities as well as serving as a resource for staff and members. I believe we will learn from the people I met. Preliminary results from our first KP farmer's market survey are in. Eleven hundred shoppers from 12 markets in three states were polled. About 60% of shoppers said they were eating more fruits and vegetables and more different kinds of fruits and vegetables specifically because of the KP markets. The other 40% are already eating a lot or they really don't like fruits and veggies. You can get the vegetables for this week's recipe at your local farmers' market. I had extra jalapeños leftover after making last week's soup and found this terrific recipe for stuffed poblano chilis. Two oz of cheese divided between four to five chilis keeps the saturated fat to a minimum. This is a flavorful side dish.


  • 4 medium poblano chilis, halved lengthwise and seeded
  • 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (Stand the ear up in a deep bowl when you cut the kernels off so they don't jump all over your floor.)
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/4 cup diced red pepper
  • 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
  • 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 Tbsp dried breadcrumbs (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste


Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Mix all ingredients except the poblanos then stuff them. Arrange them on the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes until the peppers are tender and the stuffing is hot.