When I have some stuff in my refrigerator but am unsure what to make, I often just go online and search for ideas. One of the sites I like is at kp.org/Thrive in the Cookinmg and Eating tab. With Cookstr you can search for an ingredient or two and lots of ideas come up.
So I had some endive grown by Rich Collins of California Vegetable Specialties in Rio Vista. I also had some pears. Add some spinach, shallots, make a vinaigrette and you've got a great salad.
This is so good.
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon vinegar ( this is a little less than the recipe)
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil ( again less than the recipe but I like my vinaigrettes a little more acidic plus it reduces calories from fat a little)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 3 Belgian endive, leaves spearated and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 pears, peeled and sliced
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
Whisk the vinaigrette in a bowl. Mix the fruit and veggies in a salad bowl. Toss with the vinaigrette.
Nutrition Information (per serving)