I have always considered myself to be overprotective of my fries. I still recall being slighted by my best friend in eighth grade when he took a handful of McDonald’s french fries off my tray without asking.
Even now, while most of my “fry” consumption is of the home-roasted variety, this crispy and starchy combination takes me back to a place of comfort. I have learned to be a little more generous, as well, which is helpful because I know kids who can eat these by the dozen. Okay, young daughter, you can have ONE.
Variations You can experiment with different seasonings to fit your taste and your meal. Consider the following:
- Toss with an additional 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper before going in the oven
- Toss with an additional 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence or a mix of dried thyme and dried basil before going in the oven
- Toss with an additional 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary before going in the oven
- Add whole, peel-on garlic cloves to the roast and you end up with sticky sweet packets of garlicky goodness afterwards
- Toss with 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic or garlic paste after the potatoes come out of the oven