This vegan alternative to pâté is delicious as a rustic dip for fresh vegetables or as a spread for whole-grain toast or crackers. It can also be used as a hearty sandwich spread.
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (crimini or portabella work well)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup walnuts (try pecans for a change)
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano or sage (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the mushrooms, garlic and vinegar together in a bowl and spread over a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes then set aside.
- Put the walnuts on another baking sheet and bake for about 3-5 minutes until just toasted, being careful not to burn.
- Rinse the lentils under cold water then put in a saucepan with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Place all ingredients in food processor or blender, add water as needed and scrape sides of bowl until consistency is smooth and thick.
- Scrape the pâté into a bowl and serve with fresh vegetables, on whole-grain toast, on crackers or in a sandwich. It will keep for 5-6 days in refrigerator or in the freezer for up to 2 months in air-tight container.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 170
- Total fat: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 17 g
- Dietary fiber: 5 g
- Sugars: 2 g
- Protein: 8 g