Our staff, patients, and neighbors welcomed Wendy Small of Small Bees in Los Gatos to our Friday Fresh Farmers' Market at the Oakland Medical Center on March 17th. The Small’s bees buzz around freely in wonderful countryside and make delicious honey. The Smalls now have a presence at a number of Kaiser Permanente farmers' markets. In honor of their first day at our market, try this tasty glaze for salmon. Their honey paired with navel orange juice and zest from the Lone Oak Ranch is really good.
- 4 salmon filets, about 6 oz each
- 3 Tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed navel orange juice
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Small Bees honey
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger (remember the trick of using a teaspoon held close to the spoon end to scrape the peel off the ginger)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chili flakes
Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve 1 Tbsp of the marinade and put the rest into a resealable plastic bag. Add the salmon to the bag, turn to coat, and let stand for at least ten minutes. Preheat the broiler.
Coat the broiler rack with cooking spray. Remove the salmon and set aside the marinade in the bag. Broil the salmon about 4 minutes then brush with marinade from the bag. Broil another 4 to 5 minutes until the salmon is just cooked through. Serve the salmon drizzled with the tablespoon of the initially reserved marinade.
Nutrition information (per serving)