Asparagus is a harbinger of spring. It doesn't start to grow until the ground temperature reaches 65 degrees in Fresno. Find some and enjoy it while you can. You may not see it from local producers after May. This recipe is one of the best.
- 1 bunch organic asparagus, tough ends broken off
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the asparagus spears in a large skillet, just cover with water and add a little salt. Bring to a boil then simmer until the stalks are tender but firm. Mix the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil then stir in the shallots. Season to taste.
Drain the asparagus spears. Spoon the vinaigrette over the spears. Sprinkle with parsley. Revel in what you have created.