This week is the six-month anniversary for our market. The market at San Francisco Kaiser has been open 3 months. Active planning for additional KP markets is in progress at Hayward, Richmond and Harbor City. We have received inquiries also from Denver KP, Hawaii KP and the University of Michigan.
Our market will be closed the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Last week I suggested freezing Meyer lemon juice for the winter. It was pointed out that lemons are in peak season then and they need to be juiced and frozen for the summer. Oh well. It will take a year to learn the seasonality of what grows when.
While in clinic this week, Khalidah Paskel (Comprehensive Prenatal Services Coordinator of psychosocial issues, nutrition, etc) told me about a recipe she created after I had introduced her to Armenian cucumbers. I haven't personally made this one yet but it sounds tasty. She said her kids loved it.
- 3 medium Armenian cucumbers (Khalidah slices them lengthwise because it looks better)
- 1 small head of broccoli, florets sliced
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter (or more olive oil if mono-saturated fat is an issue)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Stir fry veggies adding cucumber last.